Name and Scope:
The “International Association of Building Physics – IABP” is a Non-profit Organization. It was founded at the first International Building Physics Conference, held at the University of Eindhoven, The Netherlands in 2000.
The vision of the association is:
To contribute to the improvement of building physics area in international platforms and to establish communication and cooperation among those engaged in research and application in various fields of building physics.
The mission of the association is:
- to promote, advance and disseminate the research and best practice in the field of Building Physics in order to improve the design, construction, operation, maintenance and performance of new and existing buildings and surrounding infrastructure,
- to organize an international scientific conference every three years (International Building Physics Conference – IBPC),
- to sponsor an international journal, that publish high level papers covering the broad field of Building Physics,
- to promote and support the teaching of Building Physics,
- to periodically organize PhD summer or winter schools on Building Physics.
Geographic territory and language
IABP is a worldwide association, and where applicable strives to maintain linkages to countrywide and region-wide associations/societies in Building Physics or Building Science and promote the scientific exchanges among them.
IABP operates a website at www.IABP.info as the main gateway to the affiliates.
The website and the official language of the Association are English.
Any person with an interest in the field of Building Physics can become a member of the IABP association.
To become a member of the IABP it is necessary to participate in the IBPC Conference and to register to the IABP website.
Membership is registered via the IABP website.
All members have equal voting and participation rights in the Association life, in particular as far as the approval and amendments to the Statute, procedures, the election of the Association officers.
Members can withdraw their membership at any time. In this case, the member’s data are removed from the affiliate’s list.
In the event of cogent causes, the Board can deliberate the exclusion of a member. This may be the case if the member infringes the rules of the organization.
At the present membership is free of charge, the IABP Board can decide in the future to ask for an inscription fee and to change the rates for the members.
The IABP is not a “legal body” and does not have any patrimony,
IABP expenses necessary for the Association operations are covered by the volunteering action and by support of the President and the Board,
Should a membership fee be adopted in the future, such income will be used for operating the Association, together with the income from legacies, sponsorship and donations.
Bodies and Organization of the Association
IAPB acts as a network of volunteers spread throughout the world.
The bodies of the Association are the General Assembly of Members, the Board, and the President.
The General Assembly of Members
The General Assembly of Members has the following tasks:
- to elect the President;
- to approve the rules of procedure;
- to approve the Board members;
- to decide on amendments to the Statute;
- to decide the eventual dissolution of the Association.
The General Assembly of Members takes place every three year at the end of the IBPC International Conference.
The Board can call an extraordinary General Assembly of Members at any time giving four weeks’ notice. In this case, the agenda shall be submitted at the same time. The Board must call for a extraordinary General Assembly of Members if more than75% of all the Board members vote for this. Usually, a call is made using electronic media. The General Assembly of Members is able to constitute a quorum whatever the number of participating members are. The President (or another Association member elected by the General Assembly of Members in the President’s absence) chairs the General Assembly of Members. Each individual member has a single vote. A member cannot represent other individual members. Decisions of the General Assembly of Members are established by simple majority. In the case of a voting tie at first, a second vote shall take place. In case of further tie, the decision is rejected.
- The Board controls the policies and procedures of IABP.
- The Board is composed of up to 15 committee members including the President as the committee chair. A fair geographical distribution of the Board members is pursued. Furthermore, it is a goal to have a broad representation of expertises in the board.
- The Board members should have proven experience in Building Physics and preferably have participated in previous activities of the IABP.
- The Board is proposed by the President.
- The Board members and the President are confirmed by the General Assembly of Members,
- The positions in the Board and the President are for a three year term, renewable for no more than two terms
- The Board shall meet when needed and, at least, during the periodic IBPC Conference (by videoconference if necessary).
- The President (or her/his delegate, in the President’s absence) chairs the Board meetings.
- The Board strives to reach decisions by consensus. Where this is not possible, decisions require a simple majority vote. In the case of a voting tie a decision is made by the President at the Board meeting.
- No quorum for voting is required.
- The President and the Board members actively participate in the meetings to realize the mandate of the organisation.
The President remains in office for three years and he/she can be renewed for no more than two terms.
- He/she is the representative of the Association in all respects.
- He/she calls and presides over the Board meetings and signs all official acts performed by the Association,
- He/she can give members special functions to manage various activities, with the approval of the Board.